Karina Jones is a real-life ranch wife in the Nebraska Sandhills and one of the most highly sought-after speakers in the cattle industry nationwide!
Boy are you in for a sweet treat, right here on Ranch Raised.
My oldest daughter she took on perfecting a marshmallow recipe to become her 4-H candy making project. Well, we are here to share, so here it is, Mahaya’s Marshmallows. I’m going to warn you, when this is the fluff stage it is so smooth and velvety. We look forward to trying it in some fruit dips.
1. In a small bowl mix ½ cup of cold water with 2 ½ tablespoons of unflavored gelatin. Once mixed let it sit.
2. In a large pan melt 2 cups of white sugar and ¾ cup of water. Bring this to a boil. Once boiled add the gelatin mixture to your pot and wait for it to melt.
3. While waiting for your mixture to melt, line a 9×13 with parchment paper lightly dust with powdered sugar.
4. Once your gelatin mixture is incorporated into your sugar water, add it to a large mixing bowl and whip it with a hand or stand mixer.
5. While your mixture is whipping add 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract.
6. Once your mixture is the consistency of marshmallow fluff, spread it out in the 9×13 dish. Do NOT wait to do this. The mixture can harden very fast and once it does it is nearly impossible to get it out without hot water.
7. Now, dust the top of your marshmallows with powdered sugar and sprinkles you want! Then stick it in the fridge and let it chill for 2 hours. You can cut with small cookie cutters or with a knife. Now you are ready for smores or hot cocoa season!
Karina ranches with her husband, Marty, and 4 children near Broken Bow, NE. She grew up in western NE, with roots also in southwest SD. The cattle industry and raising kids is her passion.
Watching the cattle industry go the path that it has gone, she could no longer sit quietly at home checking cows, fixing fence, and doing all the everyday tasks wondering when some else was going to make it all better. As she became more active and outspoken on industry issues, she was asked to join the R-CALF USA staff in September 2020 as the Checkoff Petition Campaign manager. That position transcended into her current role as full time Field Director for R-CALF USA.
You can hear her almost every Friday on Your Ag Network’s Hot Barn Report, where she deep dives into cattle industry issues and industry reforms. Listen to Ranch Raised on a Your Ag Network hometown station or www.youragnetwork.com where she talks about her daily life on the Jones Ranch.
Follow Karina Jones on Facebook!